Friday, May 4, 2012

decorating for boys


In the process of deciding what to do for Flynn's big boy room, I researched lots of different ideas and concepts. Some of them were so good even though they didn't make the final cut. So rather than it seem like a complete loss I thought I'd share some of them so that if anyone else is doing some decorating it might help or give you some ideas. But please be pre-warned, I do think that I am somewhat good at this decorating stuff - and there is every chance that most of the public may not agree - so if you don't just humor me, or silently ignore me.

Firstly, before you start any endeavour these days, whether it be decorating or getting married or hosting a dinner party, get straight onto PINTEREST. It is such a great tool. And that is exactly where I found most of my links and photo's for this post.


Generally my style is a bit eclectic with a modern edge. I also love things that are vintage and or re-purposed. Anything that could spark a conversation or hold a memory or make you smile is a winner in my book. So with that in mind I tried to do this and add in as much of my son's personality as possible. And in the end only so much could fit in one room. Here are the things that didn't fit this time.


1. Buntings
Buntings are by far one of the easiest and effective decorating items. They come in so many different styles plus are so easy to make. You don't even always need a sewing machine!
www.pinterest.com

www.pinterest.com

www.pinterest.com

www.pinterest.com

2. And this brings me to all things maps and Globes. Light fittings, wall paper, mirrors, anything and everything. I love how it can be adapted to any age too.


3. Light fittings. Every room needs light. But it doesn't have to be boring. How about an old guitar, gutted out and fitted with light inside? Or these little gems?







4. Storage. How cool do these wire basket ideas look


5. Lego. Embrace it and use it as a feature!



6. Hooks and handles.Step outside of the norm for a little bit of fun 

7. Artwork. Kids make some awesome things. And they love displaying it. So use their drawings in picture frames or string it up as a bunting or use their crafts as sculptures. 


8. Trophy's. No doubt in time they will have their own collection of them, but how about rescuing some old ones and reloving them. 


I hope someone will find a little bit of inspiration out of this. One of my dream jobs would be to style kids rooms all day long. Painting murals, sewing cushions and creating lovely spaces for little minds to grow in. Glad I have two perfect munchkins to be able to do it for!


No comments:

Post a Comment