Sunday, May 6, 2012

Room for a BOY


We had planned for Flynn's "Big Boy Room" to be ready for 2nd Birthday, just as we had done for Lucy. I guess moving Lucy out of the nursery and into a new room was probably motivated by the fact that I was 3 months pregnant with Flynn and so we had a deadline that we really needed to stick to. Unfortunately the second child syndrome was in full swing and his room is now ready for him for his 3rd birthday.
He hasn't been upset about waiting. In fact both of the kids have spent most of this year camping in odd spots around the house and sharing Lucy's room. We have kind of embraced it because we figure that eventually they will be too cool to share or bunk together so if we don't do it now, the chance will disappear never to be enjoyed again.
Part of the reason of the extra wait, was simply because I couldn't settle on a furniture design concept. Or a decorating concept. I find girls rooms are incredibly easy to design and decorate. And most things are easy to adapt across large age brackets. But for boys, things are either too young or too old, or they don't really mingle well. For example: Girls can mix butterflies, fairies and princesses easily. But for boys - cars, super hero's and space themes don't always fit together well.
Plus to really throw a spanner in the works I want my kids' furniture to be able to last them through till at least their late teens. Wall decals and bedspreads are easy to swap out to suit their personalities as they grow but the furniture needs to stay!
So after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing between Hubs and myself, we settled on a slight industrial feel for his bed and furniture. Clint did some magic and Flynn now has an awesome bedroom suite with cool checkerplate features. Truly that man - my hubs - is very good at his trade, and super good looking too! Score for me.
There is storage under the bed so even his blanky and special bunny have a safe place  to live.

Storage galore. I highly doubt he should ever run out of storage space!


Because of the open shelving on the side of the wardrobe - display options are endless. And I will absolutely take every opportunity to show off his cool things. I can just imagine all of his trophy's up here one day too!


I loved the idea of model planes suspended from the ceiling. Clint supersized the idea and went with a huge RC plan that even has landing gear. I insisted that he cannot play with it until Flynn is old enough to play too. Not sure how long that rule will last! I painted the clouds with ceiling white paint and a sample pot of grey and a cotton tip for the detailing. Simple, cheap and effective.
To add an extra element to the room I had this idea of a light box. And as per usual, I mentioned the idea and Clint is doing all the hard work and bringing it into reality. We are still waiting on the light parts to be delivered, so it isn't in there yet. I will do a separate post when it is all finished.


I know I should have waited till I had all the finishing touches done - and then do this post. But honestly I just couldn't wait, I am so proud of it. And better still, Flynn loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment