Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dates are not just for old folks!

I have always loved dried dates. Even as a kid I thought they were great. Then in my late twenties I was introduced to fresh dates and my world has never been the same. I think it was because of weight watchers or some other diet thing that I froze them for treats, and they taste all fudgey and yummy, and are a perfect sugar fix when you have cravings for bad food.

I know plenty of people hate the texture, but I challenge those that do to at least try a fresh date once. They are nothing like the dried ones and you might join in on the hype too.

I mentioned at the start of the week a fudge ball that my friend gave me, and I am sticking to my word and will share the recipe with you today. The original recipe is for a Thermomix. I don't have one of these fandangily machines so I used a food processor so I will give you the alterations I made to it too. (Typical me - I just can't make anything to the original rules!)

This is the original
Ali measured them all out (she is the master of WW points) and they are roughly 2 points each ball - and they were big balls too. Ha I didn't mean for that to be rude. Probably about the size of a large walnut. They were easily a rounded tablespoon size each. 


I basically put everything in my food processor (I swapped the sultana's for craisins because that's all I had in my pantry). At first it looks too dry to ever stick together, but don't panic. As you keep going the nuts get smaller and then all of a sudden seem to release their oils and it will suddenly start to "ball up" don't process it any more as it will get too runny. Then you just roll into the ball size you want and roll those in coconut. I did small ones so they looked more like little truffles. So I think you could almost have 3 small ones for 2 WWpoints. But don't rely on me for specific numbers!
Also on a side note, it is Easter time so I'll share with you Miss Lucy's new collection.
She (ok I may have guided her towards it) has decided to started collecting bunnies of the ceramic variety. Her very first Easter she was given this pretty bunny from her DeDe. It looks stuffed but it is in fact pottery. 
And now she has 3 more added to her collection thanks to a sale and Bed Bath & Table.
 Don't you just love the little origami one.
So the plan is that every Easter they will be out on display in the living area and then the rest of the year live happily in her room. Lucy and I are really excited about finding more little gems on our visits to op shops and markets(or treasure shop as she calls them).
It's fun having a little girl.
I wonder what collection Flynn will want. I hope it isn't something gross like bugs. Or expensive like motorbikes. Oh the joys still to come.


Happy Easter everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious, will have to give them a try! I've shared with the world of Pinterest too!!

    ReplyDelete