Sunday, February 5, 2012

what's in that kids lunchbox.......two......

Week 2 already. And we have survived without tears or tantrums.
 Last weeks lunchbox was given a score of 4.5 out of 5. 
Only the carrot sticks came home, and apparently that's because she was already full and they took too long to chew and she wanted to go and play. I think her assessment and critiques were fair. Lets see how this one goes



Week 2 this kid has:

  • an apple for shared fruit recess
  • the classic combo of chicken, lettuce and mayo on a white bread roll (I could blame Woolies for being sold out of the wholemeal ones, but I didn't just go to the bakery instead. Kinda figured it wouldn't kill the kids to enjoy it's fluffy whiteness every now and then)
  • red seedless grapes
  • homemade spicy and seedy biscotti


I used to make biscotti all the time when Flynn was a bubba. His milk intolerances meant that regular shop bought rusks and other biscuits of the same nature were not suitable for us. 
And now with rules about no nuts at schools because of allergies, I think we can adjust things so that isn't a problem either.
 I know that the purists probably don't think the way I make them is correct, but we love them all the same.


Spicy and seedy biscotti
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg 
Whisk these together until fluffy and creamy
3/4 cup of plain flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1tsp of cinnamon
1/2tsp of ground cardomom
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds and pepitas
stir these into the egg mix
divide the mixture into 2 sticky and wonky logs on a baking paper lined tray 
bake in a moderate oven for about 30minutes
remove from oven and let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes
then cut the logs into strips and place back in the oven (turned down to about 140degrees) for about 15minutes  or until brown and crispy.
I think they are "supposed" to be thin dainty things - but I make them chunky and rough. 
Bit like me really.


No comments:

Post a Comment