Monday, June 27, 2011

cheap and cheerful

The kids playroom has had some framed posters in it that were purchased by my hubby back in his bachelor days. They are pictures of Muhammed Ali and while not aggressive, they just didn't suit the mood of the room they are in. But we also don't have the cash to allocate to anything expensive or flashy as a replacement.Clint had made the frames and they were perfect for the decor in the rest of the house and in good nick so really we just need to re fill them with something more suitable. This is what I came up with for under $16 buckeroos!

Technically it was under $12, however I had to purchase an embroidery hoop, but luckily I will use it some time in the future no doubt so it will pay for itself 10 fold. All it is is 2 metres of ikea fabric at $AUD3.95 a meter, and 4 lots of embroidery thread in different colours at $AUD0.99 each. I followed the lettering on the first fabric for each of our birthdays, and on the little house fabric we each picked a house and I copied part of the outline and gave them house numbers - again the numbers of our birthdays. It is not over the top colourful so hopefully it will be acceptable for that room for many years to come.

1 comment:

  1. What a clever idea, they look great! I think it's fantastic to have something on the wall that is personal too, rather than a generic print.

    ReplyDelete